The World Health Organization website says: Close to 800 000 people die due to suicide every year, which is one person every 40 seconds. Suicide is a global phenomenon and occurs throughout the lifespan. Effective and evidence-based interventions can be implemented at population, sub-population and individual levels to prevent suicide and suicide attempts. There are indications that for each adult who died by suicide there may have been more than 20 others attempting suicide.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates that each year approximately one million people die from suicide, which represents a global mortality rate of 16 people per 100,000 or one death every 40 seconds. It is predicted that by 2020 the rate of death will increase to one every 20 seconds.
The WHO further reports that:
- In the last 45 years, suicide rates have increased by 60% worldwide. Suicide is now among the three leading causes of death among those aged 15-44 (male and female). Suicide attempts are up to 20 times more frequent than completed suicides.
- Although suicide rates have traditionally been highest amongst elderly males, rates among young people have been increasing to such an extent that they are now the group at highest risk in a third of all countries.
- Mental health disorders (particularly depression and substance abuse) are associated with more than 90% of all cases of suicide.
- However, suicide results from many complex sociocultural factors and is more likely to occur during periods of socioeconomic, family and individual crisis (e.g. loss of a loved one, unemployment, sexual orientation, difficulties with developing one’s identity, disassociation from one’s community or other social/belief group, and honor).
The WHO also states that:
- In Europe, particularly Eastern Europe, the highest suicide rates are reported for both men and women.
- The Eastern Mediterranean Region and Central Asia republics have the lowest suicide rates.
- Nearly 30% of all suicides worldwide occur in India and China.
- Suicides globally by age are as follows: 55% are aged between 15 to 44 years and 45% are aged 45 years and over.
- Youth suicide is increasing at the greatest rate.
Proverbs 29:18 (KJV) Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.
#Outreach: That the world may know
#Prayer Focus: Pray for Our Prodigals
#Praise the Lord
Please follow my blogs Guam Christian Blog
Bruce’s Facebook https://www.facebook.com/bruce.dinsman
Bruce’s Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Dinsman/e/B07KDKLGPZ?ref=dbs_p_ebk_r00_abau_000000
Bruce’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/@bad671